Monday, June 29, 2009

I am at my wits ends there is a supreme lack of moral tact and professionalism in society and it was perpetuated on the highest level last night with the BET awards. I have gotten to the point where I am so frustrated where I am compelled to write the executives at BET and voice my concerns and issues. Yes I know there may be a slight chance of them even being impacted by my letter but I feel I must do it. As bad as the show was, what was worse were the comments made by so many via twitter and facebook during the show, and for all of us to feel some kind of way about the show and the programming that takes place on BET and not do anything is a far greater injustice. Just imagine if our parents/grand parents who were part of the civil rights movement felt the same way as many of my friends "my voice wont matter." Yes the task seems daunting and overwhelming for one person but if enough of us decide to take a stance that single yell can turn into a deafening roar, the question is do we really want to be heard, or are we comfortable complaining.

Below is the copy of the letter i plan on sending to BET feel free to copy it or send your own version to the executives at BET; we can not take this lightly and from looking at the upcoming programing its obvious BET could care less about what the intelligent educated members of the viewing community feel.



BET you never cease to amaze me and last night during the BET awards was another case. First of all I would like to say thank you for your feeble, terrible, futile attempt to honor the King of Pop. Honestly you would have been better off not even promoting that part and let the viewers be surprised or disappointed by what they saw when they tuned in. I say that because there wasn't much of a tribute outside of Ciara's poor rendition of heal the world, an obviously unprepared New Edition, and the saviors of the night Ne-Yo and Jamie Foxx. I will say thank you for having Janet Jackson speak, as well as the mini PSAs about positive blacks, but considering the rest of the hot mess on the show it was like placing a band-aid over a gun shot wound. It seemed as if that without the "tribute" the show would have been even more horrible, and I'm not even talking about the performances. The horrible editing that was done for unacceptable language, the inability to keep the stage crew out of view, and the horrible cuing of Jamie Foxx during the show were embarrassments and showed a supreme lack of professionalism for the award show.
I'm honestly not going to go into the performances because that isn't your fault as much as it is the fans because we force your hands by listening/buying/dancing to this hot mess and you are doing your job by providing us what we want, even though many complained during and after.

BET had the world eyes on them and had an opportunity to be the first to honor a man that made it possible to exist, but once again you dropped the ball and allowed Black entertainment to be publicly embarrassed. Where is your professionalism, the desire to take a stand against BS entertainment, your love for Michael Jackson to properly honor him. As the saying goes if you aren't going to do it the right way don't do it at all.

Once again BET I, my colleagues, and this world need you to do better!!!

3 comments:

Victoria said...

I think you're right Quinne. I don't even watch BET anymore, or even videos for that matter. I just so happened (truly by chance) turned to 106 & Park on Thursday when Michael Jackson died. That was pure circumstance. I had totally forgot about the BET Awards. It seems that now I am so used to BET programming being mediocre that that's all I expect from them. I noticed poor attempt at censorship (I'm not into broadcasting, but I thought in order for censorship to work, there had to be a delay...), trying to bleep out possible bad language in performances, and all I could say was, "that's BET". It's sad that that's what I thought, but it is. I'm pretty sure that had to revamp a show that had already been prepared (hopefully), so I'm going to kind of give them the benefit of the doubt. I do, however, think that a separate program solely dedicated to Michael Jackson would be more fitting, and hopefully better put together. But I agree, we do need BET to do better.

(Sidebar) And we need them to NOT show that "Tiny & Toya" show!!! What the hell are they thinking!?!?!?!?

Miss F. said...

I think that if the BET awards was going to be revamped to honor the King of Pop, all performers with the expectation of the tribute to the O'Jays should have sung a song that Michael sang and their current hit (keeping it it under 2mins). It was heartbreaking that all of the honorees were short changed at the expense of what I could only shake my head at. From the nominees to the presenters it could have been better. I thought that Jaime was hosting and other celebrities outside of Ne-Yo were effected by his talents. I replayed past award shows in my head and the fallen legends were honored much better than Michael was last night. I think that BET needs to dedicate another show to him and invite Mariah Carey, Usher, Chris Brown, Boyz II Men, New Edition, Gladys Knight, Brian McKnight, Floetry among a few to sing/perform a few of Michael greatest hits along with showing videos & celebrity tapped commentary about him, his contribution to music, the world & his life. The network needs to pay tribute to him in a much better way. He earned too much and set too many records to not be given his due. We need to give the world something more too talk about in a 1 1/2 hour long tapped tribute.

Anonymous said...

Hey, maybe more people need to let them know. Here are the BET executives' email addresses.

debra.lee@bet.net & barbara.zaneri@bet.net



Post a Comment

Posts Relacionados